Catchup on the latest combat sports news in mixed martial arts and boxing!
How you can help Black Lives Matter: BlackLivesMatters.Carrd.co
-The Anthony Joshua vs. Tyson Fury heavyweight superfight was made official this past week per Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn and Fury himself. The two top heavyweights in boxing agreed to a two fight deal, while Deontay Wilder remains the odd man out.
Oddly enough, Wilder enacted his immediate rematch clause after his loss to Fury, which is seemingly being ignored right now — unless he is being paid to step aside. Financial terms for Joshua vs. Fury have also been reportedly agreed upon, although the details are unknown to the public as of press time.
Keep in mind, a lot can change from now until 2021 between Wilder’s eagerness for a rematch, the politics of DAZN’s subscription service (Joshua) vs. ESPN+ pay-per-view (Fury/Top Rank Boxing), and of course, the second wave of COVID-19.
It’s official FURY VS JOSUAR AGREED FOR NEXT YEAR, I got to smash @bronzebomber first then I’ll annihilate @anthonyfjoshua #WEARESPARTANS— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) June 10, 2020
MASSIVE THANKS TO DANIEL KINNERHAN FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN.🙏🏻👍🏻 god bless pic.twitter.com/18FfVKfCax
-Shakur Stevenson looked fantastic against Felix Caraballo on the first Top Rank Boxing on ESPN card since the COVID-19 outbreak.
-UFC Fight Night: Eye vs. Calvillo took place Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, NV and aired lived on ESPN. Complete results:
Main card (ESPN/ESPN+)
- Catchweight (126.25lbs): Cynthia Calvillo def. Jessica Eye via unanimous decision (49–46, 49–46, 48–47) 5 5:00
- Catchweight (190.5 lbs): Marvin Vettori def. Karl Roberson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:17
- Lightweights: Charles Rosa def. Kevin Aguilar vis split decision (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)
- Featherweights: Andre Fili def. Charles Jourdain via split decision (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)
- Bantamweights: Jordan Espinosa def. Mark De La Rosa Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–26)
- Women’s Flyweight: Mariya Agapova def. Hannah Cifers vis submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:42
Preliminary card (ESPN/ESPN+)
- Catchweight (140lbs): Merab Dvalishvili def. Gustavo Lopez via unanimous decision (30–26, 30–26, 30–25)
- Women’s Bantamweight: Julia Avila def. Gina Mazany via TKO (punches) – Round 1, :22
- Catchweight (138.5lbs): Tyson Nam def. Zarrukh Adashev via KO (punch) – Round 1, :32
- Welterweights: Christian Aguilera def. Anthony Ivy via TKO (punches) – Round 1, :59
-UFC President Dana White buried Top Rank Boxing promoter Bob Arum for his recent broadcasts getting outrated by CORNHOLE on ESPN. White also had some choice words for CBS Sports…
Dana gives a shout out to Bob Arum. pic.twitter.com/J2pnpS9V7P— Jed I. Goodman (@jedigoodman) June 14, 2020
This gave me a chuckle pic.twitter.com/bAskGJ7KJc— ZombieProphet (@GIFsZP) June 13, 2020
-Speaking of White and the UFC, a number of top stars have been unhappy with their pay including light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (who wants his release), Jorge Masvidal (who also wants his release), and most likely Henry Cejudo and Conor McGregor — both who abruptly retired. There are no coincidences, folks.
-UFC veterans did NOT have kind things to say about former matchmaker Joe Silva who retired in 2016 after 19 years when the company was sold to Endeavor for $4 billion.
–UFC 251 Fight Island Card, Date, Location confirmed.
-The Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier trilogy fight for the UFC heavyweight championship is official for Aug. 15.
-Throwback: The Best of Chael Sonnen’s Trash Talk
-Olympic boxer Ginny Fuchs was cleared of any wrongdoing by USADA after a positive drug test for a very strange yet oddly logical excuse.
Check out our interview with MMA Legend Mark Coleman!